Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A stranger sparking random conversation is not being friendly, he's just crazy

I dunno how it is with other parts of the country, but here in LA, if a random stranger comes up to you and sparks conversation, chances are he's off his fuckin rocker. Maybe in a small town, mingling with strangers is the norm, you're probably considered a crazy anti-social bastard if you don't. But here it's a whole different story. Unless you have a real good reason to talk to someone, you just can't start talking to them. That's crazy. You could ask for the time, but that's it. Say thanks and get back to conversing with yourself in the privacy of your own head.

I was at SMC today, and some black dude just started talking to me. Now black dudes, for some reason, can do that and not be considered crazy. I guess it's because they're black and can do anything they want, and thats why i love them. But at the same time, no black dude is just gonna spark up a conversation with little white me, so i knew something was up. Sure enough, something was up. This dude was going off on how he had to break the stereotype and become an "educated black man" in America. I felt this was my cue to spark up some sort of intellectual conversation, because I sure as fuck didn't want to hear him spout off about his ambitions and overcoming the oppressive foot of the white man. So I asked him if he thought that the overall lack of education within middle class black america was because of a self-fullfilling prophecy in which the african americans inadvertantly adhered to the stereotype of being uneducated. He was like "nah man there's just alot of dumb ass niggas out there". Rofl.

Then he goes back to talking about how he loves math. I told him I was an English man myself. He goes on talking about how he loves math. He decided to start quizzing me on my math skills. "what's the biggest three digit number?" he asks me. I respond 999. He's like "alright alright, you know you're shit". Rofl. He's like "If i'm 26, what decade am i in?". I paused and thought about it. I dont' fucking know and i don't care - is what i thought. But i respond, "second". He's like, "WRONG.. third decade, 1-10 is first, 10-20 is second, 20-30 is third. I'm well into my third decade". I guess i just refrain from cluttering up my head with pointless shit like that. This dude obviously thought, since i'm going to SMC, that i'm some sort of retard that would hold him in high reverence for his mathematical mastery.

He then proceeded to read me 6 pages, SIX PAGES, of an letter he wrote to the school board because he was reprimanded twice in the library for leaving his orange juice on the desk near a computer, so they kicked in out but he made a big fuss so they called the campus cops on him and the board took away his computer privledges. He read 6 pages to me, SIX PAGES. Why am i such a pussy? I just sat there and blanked out and sparked up a cigarette while people around the library looked at me, then him, then me, then asked themselves "wtf is wrong with THAT picture". I dunno if its cuz i'm a pussy or I have a problem telling black people how i truly feel, because they're black - but either way it all comes back to me being a pussy. But it's okay, i'm a pussy but at least i'm not crazy. Like this dude. He was a nice guy though.