Thursday, April 21, 2005

Dooo Yoooou Reealiiiize? (i like that song)

I tried to follow my dreams, but none of them were coming true. Maybe I should stop asking my 8th grade teacher to juice oranges with me in the back of a station wagon. My dreams are a tad bit unrealistic you say? Well I'm not here to debate the philosophical nature of "reality", get the fuck off me. I'm here to be sincere, bare-boned and without any fronts.

And of course I joke about my dreams. I guess my non-literal dream, my future vision, is too blurry to even outline. But I do know two things for certain when it comes to my future. The first thing is, I will be happy no matter what. The second thing is, me and my wife will never fall victim to Fogey Talk.

What is Fogey Talk, and how does it come about you ask? Fogey Talk is bred by disgusting familiarity. When all has been said, when all mystery has been revealed, when you can damn near read each other's minds, words tend to become a bit superfluous. So Fogey Talk is grasping for verbal straws. It is the ground to tread on, after the entire ground has been tread on. To illustrate Fogey Talk, I give you an example:

Bob and Margeret are sitting at the table, drinking coffee, each reading a section of the Paper. Margeret says,

"It says here JC Penny is having a sale on sweaters"

Bob replies, "Yeah?"

"Yeah"

End of convo. This is Fogey Talk, and I hope it never infiltrates my life. Is this so much to ask?

And then there is my second certainty - I will be happy no matter what. Unless I turn out to be a defeated old man, a Fogey Talker, in which case I'll be eating butter by the stick to speed me towards what bliss eagerly awaits me six feet underground. But last week I gave myself a little interview, er, Diane Sawyer interviewed me. I was just throwing random shit out there, but I started talking about happiness; it's unpredictability, its elusiveness, its high, and how the mere act of looking for it makes it harder to find. Ever since then I've been thinking alot about this matter.

Then yesterday I was in my ethics class, and the teacher wrote a quote from Viktor Frankl on the board. "It is the very persuit of happiness that thwarts happiness". It is called the "hedonist paradox". Since everybody has been "thinking" lately, I'll capitalize. What do you all make of this matter?

DredgtonE: oh god MUONS baby MUONS
Serferghrl: im trembling RIGHT NOW
Serferghrl: more, talk nerdy to me
DredgtonE: oooh god you're trembling like a wave collapse function baby
DredgtonE: let me add some certainty to your heisenburg principle, if you know what i mean...
Serferghrl: AHHHHHHHH
DredgtonE: ooh god i'm gonna split your legs like an atom and release more energy than two gold ions colliding
Serferghrl: oh god greg