Sunday, April 24, 2005

Strangers aren't so strange!

I like to smile at strangers. I'd like to think little deeds such as this rekindle people's lost hope in humanity. Especially in LA, where on the same sidewalk a crackhead can walk past twitching like a rabid mutt, but wait - here comes a young lad and he's smiling at me. Humankind is beautiful! It can really brighten up someone's day. And today was just one of those days.

I was driving down Venice coming home from the beach. The sun was burning bright, I had the dreamy melodies of Starflyer 59 on my stereo, and to top it all off I was representin' with my funked out aviator sunglasses. No complaints. I was stopped at a red light and a car with 3 attractive, albeit not-yet-legal, ladies pulled up next to me. But what the hell, right? I give them all a glance and their window came down. "You're cuuuuute" they shout, giggle, giggle, yall know how it goes. I gave them each their own individually wrapped smile, thanked them, and was on my way.

Now this isn't a remarkable sort of occurance, but it made me feel good, and I mention it because I saw something of unspeakable beauty at the intersection of Venice and Sepulveda, and the little incident prior gave me the thought to do a little paying it forward, so to speak.

I pulled up next to a cadillac, the type your grandparents drive, so no surprise when I glimpsed two old people at the helm. It was two old ladies, which is a bit uncommon, but good to know two old madams can go cruisin on a Sunday evening. The passenger side window was down; hold on, old people driving with their window down? Peculiar. I was blasting my music so naturally, the grandma on the passenger side turns at me to see what all the ruckus was about. I glance over expecting to get a repremanding stare but instead, I get a smi- HOLY SHIT grandma you are fucking fine!

Really folks, this grandma was about as fine as they could possibly be, without breaking any laws of nature. I figured I should pay it forward. I turn off the radio, look to her and say, "Excuse me, I just wanted to say you look, amazing". She got so giddy, she started fanning herself and turning to her friend (who wasn't hot) for approval. She started showing me some Japanese anti-wrinkle cream she uses that was like, a billion dollars a bottle, and telling me how she exercises everyday. She was just so excited. Okay greenlight, bye bye granny.

It seemed as if i really really made her day. And that makes my day. And to think, all she ever wanted was someone to make her feel young again. I wonder if she still has sex...?