Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Look he's using the F word

There's been this whole fucking breed of interactive pop-up ads coming out, trying to lure me into playing their little games. Those insidious advertisement folk, trying to suckle me in with a floating picture of Brad Pitt's head, telling me to take his picture and win some random booshiet I'll never actually get, as if I didn't know things came with a catch. Swat this fly Greg, swat this fly! Look, can't you hear it buzzing?? We did that on purpose just to annoy the fuck out of you. Hi we're the advertisement industry, and we're a bunch of dicks.

Although there is that interactive basketball banner that's pretty cool. I like to play a game where I try and see how close I can get the ball to the hoop without it actually going in; otherwise if I make it I'll be taken to their layer, hypnotized by their silver tongued lingo, and socialized into a complete and utter tool. That's just how it goes.

I've always thought people were pretty damn resilient and that with today's advertising becoming obnoxious at almost unparalleled heights, the industry would eventually become self defeating. Funny how companies advertise to trump competition, only to compete on a whole nother front. Next thing ya know, companies will be advertising their advertisements. Okay maybe not, but shit's getting bad. Ya know shit is bad when a commercial tries so goddamn hard to be funny they aren't even paying attention to what they were selling in the first place. Or when all I took away from a commercial is, "That girl had nice titties. Wait what was she selling? I hope her titties". But it's not like I'm complaining.

***

Hate commercials though.

Fragrance commercials make me feel lonely and suicidal.

Old Navy. Enough said.

And beer commercials are starting to lose direction. The commercial never has anything to do with the product for fucks sake. Put some dudes in a bar. Have something funny happen, usually involving a hot chic and some guy's inability to hit on her in a smooth manner. Then show a beer on a barstool with the slogan above it. Make sure there's condensation on the beer.

Gum commercials. Thank you for making gum exciting... you boring fucks. What ever happened to double the pleasure, double the fun? Now its double the speed in which i change the goddamn channel. Or double my urge to murder.

I wish I had good memory. I'd just sit here and reminisce about the good old days, when commercials were wholesome and original. Now all we're left with is Girls Gone Wild but those are good- if only for the 5 minutes it takes for me to jerk off to them. Where have all the cowboys gone?