Sunday, August 14, 2005

What debate?

So about the whole evolution versus creationism thing, I just gotta put this out there because I find it funny how people are still arguing over this. Since when did it become a choice to believe in evolution?

That's like someone saying, "Yeah bro, it makes so much more sense that the world is flat. Screw spheres man, I'm not down with spheres. I'm a flat surface man myself. Don't even like big breasts..."

But as always, people will have their agenda and focus only on the missing pieces of the puzzle. Ya have the silly Creationists. Explaining evolution to them is like playing Wheel of Fortune with someone who insists on spelling out the entire word, even if they could have easily guessed it. Point being, sometimes it isn't necessary to have all the details to know what the big picture is. Evolution is the big picture.

I see the sucker everywhere. Even when I close my eyes, I see those little worm thingies evolving, morphing, adapting to their ominous black environment. It's everywhere man. Shut your fucking doors.

I'm not a depressive pessimist so often people want to know why I don't believe in free will. Evolution is one of the reasons why I don't. Not only are we one with the animal kingdom, but evolution applies to the mind as well. Many tend to think in terms of physical evolution, but the mind does what it must do to survive, to be comfortable its environment. Cry, stab, masturbate. I look at humans and see correlations and predictability; as if I were looking at different species of minds. Give us these biological features and this habitat, and what you have in an adapted mind. It becomes harder and harder to blame. Even Micheal Jackson.

The evolution of concepts, the evolution of ourselves, language, music, clouds, my erections, so fourth and so on. It's like a law that things will evolve, like a truth without a premise, it just must be so.

Which brings me to what Maug said earlier today. His quote was,

"...We use our intelligence to observe order...that is what science is all about. Kinda wierd huh? That we use intelligence to note design as a fundamental scientific approach, then say there is no intelligent design?"

On his site he sort of went into how this is not a black and white topic. He suggested there could be intelligent design without God. I disagree though. My response would be that without an intelligent creator there can be no intelligent design, just design. Why not call it good design? Lucky design? It seems like nothing but semantics to claim Intelligent Design when there is no intelligence in the design other than the appearance of being so, and appearance certainly isn't merit for the title. The Blind Watchmaker, right?

But I digress.

It's funny. There are millions of people out there who refuse to bite the bullet and believe we came from apes. As if that were tough to swallow. Imagine their disbelief if faced with an even more fascinating truth - we evolved from stardust. The very atoms that make up the molecules that make up the cells that make up the organs that make up our bodies were forged in the violent furnaces of stars, billions of years ago. Our bodies are as old as the universe. Somehow shit just worked out. It's a beautiful thing.

This harmony was a long time in the making.