Wednesday, May 04, 2005

It's Chill Don't Even Trip

Every once in a while I get made fun of for using non-whiteboy lingo, but it's so natural to me I don't even notice. Like today I was tutoring this 8th grade girl at my old elementary school, coincidentally helping her with English, and I said quite naturally, "Oh that's chill don't even trip". She looks at me all inquisitive-like and says, "Damn are you ghetto or something?". Hahaha. I suppose I am... I suppose I am. Then I made her do 500 standards for giving me lip.

Actually I'm far from ghetto, I may drink the occasional 40 ounce and smoke an occasional blunt, but that's just how we muhfuckin' do it down here.

On the contrary, I also get lip every once in a while for using words that are too big. Fuck, get off me people. I don't even use big words, everybody else just uses dinky ones. I'm aware that large words are unecessary in day to day conversation, so using them would be considered pretentious, unless they were spoken with a British accent, because then that would just seem rather fucking cool and intellectual. But what some don't seem to understand is that I use whatever word comes quickest to me, and if that word just so happens to suggest that I am a vocabulary baller, so be it. I'll try to finder a smaller word, just so I don't come off the wrong way, but that takes a bit of time to think about. Then I gotta think, "What Would Honkie Say".

So thus the duality of Greg's vocabulary emerges. Somewhat indicative of the duality of Greg himself. I can fit in with many a crowd. For example, I was talking to a black person today. A black person! Haha I joke I've known many-a-black person, I live in LA for fuck's sake. I know Mexicans too. It's just bound to happen if you live down here. I mean, if I lived in India I'd know alot of Indians and I'd eat alot of rice. If I lived in China I'd eat with chopsticks and lose my girlfriend in crowds of people. Cuz they all look the same and shit.

It's just in the cards... It's just in the cards.